My vision for Dare County Schools is the safety, well-being and success of our schools and everyone in them.
It is important that we not only provide the education and guidance necessary to prepare our students to go out into the work world and/or to continue their education in college and beyond, but also to empower them with the support to enable them to confidently achieve their goals. My vision is focused on the . I believe that we have an affirmative mandate to our children, their families, our community members and businesses in Dare County to equip our children to be critical thinking, contributing members of not just our community, but to the world at large for the greater good.
- We have a responsibility to do all that is possible to keep our schools safe.
- We have a responsibility to be good stewards of taxpayer dollars.
- We have a responsibility to foster critical thinking skills and to ensure that our students are well-rounded and participants in the community.
- We have a responsibility to provide the appropriate resources and services that support instructional programs.
- We have a responsibility to maintain our facilities and grounds.
- We have a responsibility to forge a relationship balancing supervision and collaboration with the Superintendent.
- We have a responsibility to not “rubber stamp” all of the Superintendent’s proposals without asking hard questions.
- We have a responsibility to engage and be transparent with our community.
- We have a responsibility to not only recruit and prepare our educators and administrators but to retain them.
Preparing all students for college, careers and life is more than a sound bite- it’s a mindset. Some students will succeed by continuing their education at a Community College or University. Some students will succeed by taking advantage of opportunities through Career and Technical Education programs to gain a skill and/or trade. Many local employers have shared their concerns that they need more qualified and skilled applicants. I, like many in our community, share the strong desire that our children be able to work, live and excel here in Dare County after high school or college. We can and should provide the pipeline for our skilled students to our local employers.
- I support the continued expansion in Dare County Schools of our Career and Technical Education (C.T.E.) programs.
- I support continued expansion of our partnerships with local businesses and College of the Albemarle as internships, C.T.E. courses and credentials strengthen our students for work and/or college.